Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Second siblings and their sicknesses!



It is wonderful to have two children and to watch my oldest daughter play with my youngest son is priceless.  There is nothing more amazing then watching them as siblings.  However, one of the challenges with siblings, is trying to keep the youngest sibling from getting sick.  My daughter did not get her first cold, ear infection until she was 18 months old which I credit to breastfeeding, diet, washing hands and what we exposed her to but my 8 month old son, is not so lucky.

Now I do all the same things with my son that I did with my daughter but your second baby is exposed to many more germs because of their older sibling.  I cannot prevent my daughter from playing at the park or playing with friends or going to ballet class or telling her she cannot kiss and love her baby brother but even if I wash her hands and mine all the time, germs are going to come to our house!  So when Joaquin was 2 months old, Tallulah got the mildest cold but Joaquin got his first cold and ear infection.  The first time I treated it with antibiotics out of panic but then it went into his other ear and they wanted to put him on another round of antibiotics.  I was surprised because he seemed fine and had no fever or anything.  I would have never known if it was not for his check up at the doctor.  I decided to follow my instinct and treat it with Garlic Mullen drops first and if he started to get fussy or a fever then I would put him on the antibiotics.

Well a week later, we went to his check up and the ear infection was gone.  I was so proud of myself and that I did what I thought made sense based on the situation.  I have used those Garlic Mullen drops before and they are awesome.  Tallulah had a few ear infections but most were controlled by the drops and acupuncture.

Now, my son is 8 months old and I am in the same spot.  My daughter had a two day cold and now my poor son has a double ear infection.  I debated on what steps I wanted to take but his fever was rising and he was so miserable, that my husband and I decided that antibiotics was the right way to go for this treatment, along with the Garlic Mullen drops.

These decisions as a natural mama are very hard to do.  I hate putting him on antibiotics at such a young age but you always have to evaluate the situation and decide what feels best for your child.  For me, putting Joaquin on the antibiotics was the right choice.  Just 24 hours later, he has no fever, no thick mucus out of his nose and mouth and is sleeping happily in his bed.

Just remember, being a mom is always hard and these decisions are the hardest but just follow what you think it right and you will do good by your children.

Picture from Dr. Estella Sneider

No comments:

Post a Comment