Friday, January 21, 2011

Adventures of Baby Food


My little girl, Tallulah is 6 1/2 months old and last week we started her on solids. We were so excited for this journey to begin. We started simple with yummy sweet potatoes which I made myself. I have to admit, they came out perfect and so tasty! If you do not have the book, "Organically Raised, Conscious Cooking for Babies and Toddlers" by Anni Daulter, it is a must have for making baby food plus the book is beautifully done.

Sweet potatoes were a hit. Tallulah gobbled them up and smiled with her little orange smile. So after a couple days of sweet potatoes, to make sure there were no allergies, it was time to try something new. I thought applesauce sounded awesome and tasty so that was the next step.

However, I forgot that I needed to make it so Tuesday morning, I was rushing to make fresh applesauce and forgot to focus and say Anni Daulter's mantra "Every meal prepared in the kitchen will be done with love, joy and the intention of feeding my family in body, mind and spirit" which I love but instead I was rushing to get the food prepared and then have time to feed Tallulah and then go to work. It became a mess!

Finally, I was happy to finish them and get Tallulah all set up for her next new meal. My husband and I got her all excited and she was smacking her lips with eagerness. We spooned up the applesauce and she stuck her tongue out long so she could get a good taste. What happened next? Tallulah made a yuck sour face! I could tell she was looking at me saying "This is not sweet potatoes mama". How could she not like it? It was so tasty. My husband tried and same yuck sour face. One more try, I thought and when it went into her mouth, she paused and then actually gagged a bit as if she was using a line from a movie saying "I threw up a little in my mouth". Apples were a no go. I realize now that they were probably not sweet enough and are a little acidic. That is ok. In about a month, we will try again!

So what was next you ask? Bananas! Those have been a success but nothing seems to compete with the sweet potatoes.

All I can say is that making your own fresh baby food is so worth it. I believe a positive attitude makes the food taste better. That applesauce was made with frustration and not enough patience and that is why I got a "yuck sour" face.

My advice, take time to enjoy your baby and take pleasure in making beautiful baby food. It is super easy and super satisfying to you and your baby.

I ask you to take a 30 day challenge!! Purchase Anni Daulter's fantastic book and try making your baby food for 30 days. I promise you will find it easy and so much better then jarred food!

http://www.organicallyraisedcookbook.com/home

1 comment:

  1. We made all of Dom's baby food and it was actually really easy. The three must-haves for us that made it easy were a steamer basket for the pot, a hand/immersion blender, and ice cube trays. Making a bunch and freezing it when I had 30-60 minutes made it more peaceful. Also, when cooking for ourselves, we would just make a little extra to set aside and puree for her as she got a little bigger.

    Mixing anything with baby oatmeal also worked for her. She ate tons of spinach and zucchini!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete