Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lots of Vitamin D


Today was another warm and perfect day in San Diego. Tallulah and I sat outside and enjoyed the sunny day. It got me thinking about Vitamin D. The moment Tallulah was born, her pediatrician suggested I give her Vitamin D drops. Really? What for? It seems babies and children are not getting enough sunlight. I thought that was so depressing. Are children really not outside enough that they need Vitamin D drops? My advice is to think before you give them the Vitamin D drops. Come on Natural Mommies, get your babies outside. It is good for them and you. Just remember a sun hat and sunscreen (6 months or older)!

Here is a great article on Vitamin D.
http://mothering.com/breastfeeding/sunlight-deficiency-review-literature?page=0,0#

Here is my picture of the day. While I look tired (Does that ever go away?), I think we look like a good mama and baby combo, except that she looks just like papa.

Let the sunshine in!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that our babes need to be outside!!! If we can nourish our children naturally, I belive it is our duty, but I have read that sunscreen blocks the production of vitamin D...kind of a catch 22

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched video on Vit D and it talked about the blocks from sunscreen and it is a great point. They were really pushing Vitamin D for adults and babies in drops or pill form. The belief was to use this instead of vaccinations and since I have not been vaccinating, I might go back on my thoughts!! The world of natural is always changing! Check this out.

    http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=15039E75B735B21D696AB13AEF164567

    ReplyDelete